New to market is our listing at 15 Clifton Avenue. This classic four bedroom colonial is located on one of the most desirable streets in the Clifton neighborhood. This gracious home boasts high ceilings, hardwood floors throughout and spacious living areas. It is situated on a substantial lot with fenced back yard and 2-car oversized garage. Walk to all that Clifton has to offer! Visit our website (15 Clifton Avenue) for more details. Read about the history of the Clifton neighborhood and the amenities that make it one of Marblehead’s favorite places to live.
One of the most frequently visited and favorite spots in the Clifton neighborhood is Beach Bluff Park and Preston Beach. The park is owned and maintained by the Clifton Improvement Association Clifton Improvement Association. Annual membership is $50. which includes free parking for the beach, access to the park and annual events. The park is landscaped with native plants and includes benches for enjoying the views and admiring the Sun Circle. Preston Beach spans from Marblehead to Swampscott and is almost a mile long from end-to-end making it ideal for walking and jogging.
“Consisting of approximately 8.5 acres, the Conservation area is near Rockaway Ave. in the Clifton section of Marblehead. Entrances are on Marion Rd., Marion Rd. Ext., Warren Rd. and the railroad right of way. The pond occupies about one-half of the area and is a rich wildlife refuge for waterfowl, particularly during migration periods. In the winter the frozen pond is used by ice skaters. The pond and its surrounding areas support a wide variety of plants and animal life including water lilies, large turtles, muskrats and many swamp-dwelling bushes and trees. Vistas of the pond can be enjoyed fromtwo newly- constructed viewing areas”
Ware Pond (Source: Marblehead Conservancy & Marblehead.org)
Hobbs Playground is 1.14 acre playground that includes a playground and little league field. It is located on Clifton Ave adjacent to the Eveleth School. The playground is a family gathering spot for the whole neighborhood.
The Marblehead Rail-Trailbisects Clifton Avenue and totals 4.1 miles in length. Residents enjoy recreational sports year round biking, walking, jogging and even cross-country skiing.
History of the Clifton Neighborhood:
The Clifton neighborhood and Clifton Avenue got its name when a 350-acre parcel of land “betwixt the Clifte and Forest River” was deeded from the Massachusetts Bay Colony to John Humphrey, Esq. The land was originally owned by the Naumkeag tribe and was considered a prime location due to it’s positioning between the ocean on one side and the river on the other.
The neighborhood was used for farming and pastures for many years until 1870 when the railway system and the development of Atlantic Ave gave access to Clifton and soon it become a vacation destination and summer colony for many. Small summer cottages were moved from the Neck and Clifton became known as the “Daughter of the Neck.”
Eventually, the Clifton neighborhood became so exclusive that resentment grew among residents in other sections of town. In reaction to this growing resentment, Benjamin Ware petitioned the Town in 1884 to make Clifton a separate town with its own governing powers. Rumor has it that the 1884 Town meeting was quite a spectacle when his petition was presented with opposition both for and against secession. The petition failed and the Clifton neighborhood continued to flourish as a resort area with the development of casinos, hotels, summer homes and a golf course. This lasted up until the late 1920’s and the economic downturn of the Great Depression.
In the 1930’s, The neighborhood slowly transformed into a haven for families and continues that trend today. The original Glover School was built in 1949 and then Eveleth in 1959 followed by houses of worship: Clifton Lutheran and Temple Emanu-El in 1954, and Temple Sinai in 1962. The JCC was developed next door in the early 70’s. The most recent developments in the Clifton area include the Lynch/van Otterloo YMCA and the new Glover School in 2014.
(Source: WickedLocal.com “Marblehead 101: Clifton, “daughter of the Neck” and Pam Peterson of the The Marblehead Museum)